Sunday, December 6, 2009

The Law of Leadership ... Ries & Trout; as explained by Mike Farrell with aspenIbiz

This post is a follow up to my recent tweet about The Law of Leadership - It is better to be first than it is to be better. An example of this law of leadership is illustrated by the following two questions. 1) What is the name of the first person to fly solo across the Atlantic Ocean? Answer - Charles Lindbergh. 2) Who was the second person to fly solo across the Atlantic Ocean? Answer - Bert Hinkler. Bert was a better pilot than Lindbergh, he flew across the Atlantic faster than Lindbergh, and he consumed less fuel on his trip across the Atlantic than Lindbergh. Yet who has ever heard of Bert Hinkler?

The key issue in marketing is not convincing prospects that you have a better product or service. The key issue is to create a category you can be first in ... hence the interest in "MyStory" marketing because you are the category and you are first in your category. Marketing is a battle of perceptions, not products.

Let me conclude with a couple more examples.

Neil Armstrong was the first person to walk on the moon. Who was second?

George Washington was the first president of the United States. Who was second?

Gatorade was the first sports drink. What was second?

If you are not first in your prospect's mind, you are doomed to languish forever.

As an Internet Marketing entrepreneur, be sure you avoid the fate of Buzz Aldrin, John Adams, and some unknown sports drink that were all second and will languish forever.

You can find out more about Internet Marketing and home-based businesses by reading updates that will be posted at my blog over the next few weeks.

As a former engineer with General Dynamics and management consultant at Deloitte … I am on a mission to empower individuals by increasing their financial literacy, improve their ability for personal sustainability, and contribute to the program that has a goal of creating 100 Millionaires by 2012.

Until next time, I invite you to:

Meet me at Facebook :

Follow me on my Blog :

Watch me on my YouTube channel :

Join me in my venture at aspenIbiz as I pursue financial literacy and alternative business opportunities with multiple income streams.

When not traveling for business or pleasure, Mike operates his own Internet Marketing company and consulting firm from his home in the mountains of Colorado.

In closing, if you are an entrepreneur, a business owner, employed in an 8-5 job, or recently retired, yet still wanting to be plugged-in to the next wave of economic prosperity, you can join me in pursuing the lifestyle you want to live by following this aspenIbiz link.

No comments:

Post a Comment